We are looking for an experienced pipe layer to join our construction crew. As a pipe layer, you will be responsible for assessing the ground conditions, digging trenches, assembling pipes, and laying pipes in accordance with city ordinates. You may also be required to remove old piping systems, seal joins, and install auxiliary lines.
To ensure success as a pipe layer, you should have good working knowledge of pipe fitting techniques and excellent physical fitness. A skilled pipe layer should be able to select, place, and seal pipes quickly and efficiently without impeding the progress of the construction crew.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Measuring and configuring pipe routes
- Gathering material and installation tools
- Digging trenches using hand and machine trenching tools
- Locating installed piping systems using magnetic or radio indicators
- Removing old or broken piping systems
- Laying pipes into trenches and applying pipe spacers
- Checking pipe alignment and sealing pipes with cement glue
- Installing auxiliary lines
- Sealing exposed pipe joints and fittings
- Filling and sealing pipe trenches
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma or GED
- Proven work experience as a pipe layer
- Detailed knowledge of construction and pipe fitting techniques
- Knowledge of sewer systems, storm drains, and water mains
- Experience with machine-operated trenching tools
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and city maps
- Excellent physical fitness with the ability to lift heavy objects
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work outdoors in harsh weather conditions
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check
- Must be able to work 8-10-hour workdays, Monday through Friday, with occasional weekends. Must be flexible regarding work hours including possible out of town work
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Union affiliation or willingness to take the necessary steps to join the union
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. Often required to sit, stand, walk, bend knees, stretch arms, talk and hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employees encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Employee is exposed to environmental conditions, working near machines and loud noises associated with construction sites. Exposed to variable weather conditions including rain, snow, wind, cold and heat.
Kevitt Companies does not accept recruiting agency solicitations.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, INCLUDING M/F/VET/DISABILITY